Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Holiday Promo Tour Day 13: Jennifer L. Allen Part 2







Tell us a about yourself.

I grew up in New York, on Long Island. When I was 20, I moved to South Carolina. I’m married with three cats and a dog. I love music, reading, taking pictures, and travelling. I work full time and I’m a grad student, studying clinical counseling.

How long have you been writing and what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing for about a year. I saw a scene from Our Moon in a dream and the idea just wouldn’t go away. I wrote it out and deleted it a bunch of times before I actually pursued it. I kept thinking, “I can’t do this, I’m not a writer.” With every book I wrote I would say, “I can’t do this” or “I can do this.” Eventually I gave in. Now I get inspiration from anything and everything. I’ll see something in passing and think, “Wow, that’s cool, how can I work it into a book?” Or I’ll hear a song and it’ll inspire a scene and I’ll mull it over until I can make something of it.




Tell me a little about your book.

The book that’s being featured is my second book, Change of Heart. It’s a new adult contemporary romance novel, a second chance, friends to lovers story featuring Casey and Decker. They meet when they’re six years old and Decker’s family moves in across the street from Casey’s family. They grow up together, are the best of friends, and eventually a little bit more. Without giving anything away, things happen and Casey moves across the country for college. Eventually they are reunited and given a second chance. There are stubbornness and obstacles in their way, so the big question is (as it often is in a romance story): will they make it?









Who has been your greatest writing inspiration?

I can’t say that one particular person has been an inspiration to my writing. I am inspired by every author who came before me, is beside me, and came after me, just for putting their hands to their keys or their pen on their paper. Colleen Hoover wrote the first contemporary romance novel I ever read, so if nothing else, I’d like to thank her for introducing me to this world I love so much. If I hadn’t read that, I wouldn’t have read hundreds of others that eventually gave me the little push I needed to get started myself. I also love her because she’s so real. Much of what she posts on social media is so human, whereas often celebrities seem so…paranormal almost. She talks about her life and her processes and regular, every day people can actually say, “That’s so me!” or “I had that exact same thought.” I just think she’s amazing.



Now a little more about you: If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring (excluding family, laptop, or writing utensils)?

A satellite weather radio - because I should get reception on the island via the satellite, and weather radios usually have those levers that can be spun or pumped to keep the juices flowing in the case of dead batteries or no power.
My mom’s acoustic guitar - because I’ve been wanting to learn and being stranded on a desert island is probably the only time I’ll have the free time to learn.
My Kindle – because I love to read! I read way more than I write, way more than I do anything else, really.

We find out the world is going to end tomorrow. How do you live your last day?

I’d rally up as many friends and family members as I can and go to a rock festival. And in this fantasy I’m putting together, they’ll all be as excited as me to go to a rock festival, so it will definitely be possible. And naturally, there will be one occurring nearby. ;)



 
If we were to make a movie of your life. Who would play the part of you?

This is going to sound lame, but I’m going to say that I will play myself. Why? Well, because I’m kind of stubborn (VERY STUBBORN) and I have the tendency to do everything myself (or try to), so it seems natural that when the time comes for a movie to be made, I’ll end up wanting to be me. It’s not a “no one can do it better than I can” type of thing, it’s more of an “I feel obligated to take care of my own stuff” thing, if that makes sense? Ask my PA, you’d never know she exists because I hardly let her do anything. And it’s not because she’s not competent and wonderful, it’s because I just feel like if I have an idea, I need to follow through with it myself, not push it off on someone else. Even though I know it’s delegating, not pushing it off. I have a hard time asking for help. Stubborn.

Tell us 5 random things about yourself.

1. I collect shot glasses.
2. My favorite color is purple.
3. I average reading at least one book a day.
4. I am terrified of spiders.
5. I’m a compulsive shopper.




What are the three places you have always wanted to visit but have not yet?

Italy and Ireland - I’m Italian and Irish, they also have wine and beer, and I hear it’s pretty good. And Hawaii, because who doesn’t want to go to Hawaii?

Okay, crystal ball time. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

In 5-10 years I will be a practicing counselor, in a private practice. Maybe I’ll be on my way to a PhD, maybe not. I’ll probably still be here in South Carolina. Though I entertain the thought of living in New York City often, I know it’ll probably never happen. I married a country boy and my dog is NOT a city dog or a snow dog. We’ll definitely be in a bigger house though, because we’ll need the space when we foster and adopt some kids. Aside from all that, I hope to still be writing. I hope the ideas are still coming. And I hope I’m still connected to the many people I’ve met on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment