Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Sherry A. Burton Interview Part 1

Welcome everyone to another big week on the Writer's Revolution. I am your host, the author of The Phoenix Blade, Andrew Hess. This week our guest is an incredible author Sherry A. Burton.




Let’s get to know you a little more.  Tell us a about yourself.

The short answer; my name is Sherry and I hear voices. Not only that but I listen to them and do exactly as they say.

The long answer; I'm a Navy wife, mother of three and Gamma to six. I had all three of my children by the age of twenty-one. Raising three children while my hubby was away most of the early years helped me to mature rather quickly. As a Navy, wife I've moved so many times (thirty-two thus far) that I cannot pass a box without making a mental note as to whether it is sturdy enough to be useful. I believe that living in different states has helped me in becoming such a versatile author and has certainly given me fodder for the stories that fill my head.  I write fiction under the pen name of Sherry A. Burton and also write children's books under my real name of Sherry A. Jones.


What inspired you to write?

 I had a girlfriend who was going through a pretty bad time. For reasons still unknown to me, I told her I would write her a happy ending. I thought it would be a quick short story; something simple that would make my friend smile. I sat down with my red clipboard and a pencil and began writing. The short story kept growing and somewhere around the second chapter the voices showed up. They (the voices) took over my story and took it in a whole new direction. The first time I realized I was not the one writing the story and it scared me. Now I've come to accept and appreciate the fact that I have help. Although I now do my writing on the computer, I still have that red clipboard.


Tell me a little about your book.


 My latest book, Surviving the Storm, is a suspense. It is the first book in The Storm Trilogy. Following a tragic year, Abby thinks she is making a wise choice when she agrees to marry Jacob. While admittedly not in love with him, he has always made her feel safe and protected. That feeling quickly dissipates when he reveals his true colors on their wedding day. With no means to escape, Abby must decide her fate. Not willing to bend to her new husband’s rule, she is in a fight for survival, and a desperate race to discover what secrets he is keeping from her. Secrets that threaten to destroy the very foundation of her soul. Set in New Orleans during a storm that devastated so many, Surviving the Storm is a tension-building tale of suspense that does not let up until the two storms collide.

How did you come up with the story?

 I thought it was going to be a simple story of domestic violence. But once again the story took over taking it to a whole new level with many twists and turns. Just when you think you've got the plot figured out something new takes you in a different direction. The voices really reached to the dark side with this one.  Kind of fitting if you think about it, because can there really be a simple story when discussing domestic violence?


Tell me about your main character.  Who is he/she, what makes them special to you?

Abby is a strong woman who keeps getting the rug yanked from under her. After everyone she loves is taken from her she decides love is highly overrated.  Reaching for the only lifeline she has left she agrees to marry Jacob, a family friend who has always been there for her. Immediately it is clear she has made a mistake. While she wants to escape, circumstances prevent her from leaving. She soon becomes one of "those women;” the ones who allow their husbands to get away with the unthinkable.  Abby may be desperate but she is not a quitter. She also has help from two rather unlikely friends; Kevin, her unorthodox and highly inquisitive neighbor, and Pearl, a voodoo priestess, who is guiding her along her way. I find Abby's courage commendable. She knows she will never be safe unless she learns the truth. She's a fighter, a feisty redhead, who refuses to play by the rules.  I like that instead of giving up she pulls herself up and gathers the courage to protect herself and the life of her unborn child.


Who has been your greatest writing inspiration?

 I would have to say Jean Auel. I got hooked on her books years ago and I find my writing style is a lot like hers. Not in the fluff, but in the way I have the characters run parallel before finally meeting and coming together.




Be sure to check out Sherry's new book Surviving the Storm
http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Storm-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B00KXCRDAU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404657430&sr=8-1&keywords=Sherry+A.+Burton



and make sure you pickup your copy of The Phoenix Blade: Project Justice: http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Blade-Project-Justice-ebook/dp/B00J2HG2H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400788203&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Phoenix+Blade

And remember to rate and review the books on Amazon.com. Everyone has a voice; let it be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment