Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Friday, July 25, 2014

How the Deal was Done

Welcome everyone to another big week on the Writer's Revolution. I am your host, the author of The Phoenix Blade, Andrew Hess. My guest this week is Romantic and Paranormal Writer and author of Souls Entwined, Anne B. Cole




Here in her own words is Anne B. Cole as she describes her publishing process

I love the blog by Aussie Owned and Read


and here’s why…

 
Three years ago, I found myself without a book at my kids’ swim meet. I love watching my kids swim, but this meet was over five hours long. In between their events, I turned the heat sheet over and jotted down ideas for a story. What started as a hobby grew into an addiction. I carried composition books everywhere, writing a chapter here and there until I had my first draft.

 

I did some research and became a member of Romance Writers of America. Through RWA, I entered four writing contests in 2012. Even though I did not final in any of the four, I received invaluable feedback from the judges. One suggestion by two different judges caught my eye; “Get a critique partner.”

 

In January of 2013, I posted on a ‘find a critique partner’ site. It worked. Deborah contacted me, and we connected right away. The third member of our critique circle, Joan, joined us soon after. The three of us spent winter and spring reading, critiquing, and sharing thoughts about writing. We also shared life’s ups and downs and became very good friends.

 

In June, Deborah emailed, asking if it would be okay for her to enter a pitch of my story in the “Pitch your Mate” contest by the Aussie Owned and Read Blog. She had already made it to the editors round with her story in the “Pitch-A-Rama” segment of the contest. Needless to say, I was thrilled when my story, Maledicta, was selected as a finalist and went to the editors’ round.

 

A day later I received my first two requests; one partial and one full. To say that I was thrilled is an understatement. Two weeks later I received my first rejection from the partial request. Two weeks after that, I received an email from Soul Mate Publishing saying they liked my book so much they wanted to publish it!

 

More good news came the following month when Deborah received a contract from a different publisher. Together, with Joan cheering us on, we released our first novels in April 2014. Three Wishes by Deborah Kreiser on April 15th and Souls Entwined by me, Anne B. Cole, on April 30th. Yep, my title changed but the story didn’t.

 

My advice to aspiring authors…Enter Aussie Owned and Read’s Pitch-A-Rama contest held each year in June.  And if you have a critique partner…Pitch Your Mate. They will forever love you for it. It worked for me. It can work for you!







To follow Anne’s publishing journey and connect with her, check out her website and find her on Twitter and Facebook.

 
Website
 
Twitter
 
Facebook

 
Click on the Buy Link below to see Souls Entwined on Amazon which is now on sale for only $0.99
BUY LINK


and make sure you pickup your copy of The Phoenix Blade: Project Justice: http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Blade-Project-Justice-ebook/dp/B00J2HG2H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400788203&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Phoenix+Blade

And remember to rate and review the books on Amazon.com. Everyone has a voice; let it be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment