Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Toi Thomas Interview Part 1

Welcome everyone to another great week of the Writer's Revolution.  I am your host, the author of The Phoenix BladeAndrew Hess.  This week we have a fun and insightful guest that loves to write Sci-Fi, Paranormal and Fantasy books.



Tell me a little about yourself.

My name is Toi Thomas and I’m a big kid, though I do try not to be sometimes. My husband and I are best friends because no one understands our geekness the way we do. Aside from my love of writing and reading, I’m a bit of hobby hog. I enjoy cooking, painting, dancing, collecting, and nature- to an extent. I think most people look at me and see one thing while I’m usually something else entirely.

Those are a lot of hobbies.  So, what inspired you to write?  What type of genre do you write?

In many ways, I’ve been writing my whole life, but I only began to pursue writing as a possible career about three and half years ago. Writing has always been a creative stress release for me and I hope it stays that way. I don’t stick to any one specific genre other that fiction, but I mostly write fantasy, sci-fi, and paranormal intrigue. I’m slowly developing my own style of contemporary romance, but will not be dabbling in erotica.

Tell me about your book.

Eternal Curse: Giovanni’s Angel is a fantasy tale set in the modern era, but has elements of a paranormal romance with a spiritual foundation, but this isn’t a book with a hidden message. In the world of Eternal Curse, readers learn about the coexistence of humans, angels, demons, and all those beings in between, but the first book is only an introduction into what the series has to offer.

Humans, angels, and demons co-existing together?  I couldn’t imagine a world like that. 

Tell us about the main character, what makes them unique and what makes them tick.

Giovanni is a loner and not by choice. He doesn’t look, act, or feel the way average people do. Plagued with gray skin and a few other oddities, Giovanni has lived most his life in near isolation. He’s a bit of a pessimist, but only because he doesn’t know any better, and definitely not because he wants to be. He just wants to be normal, but that just may not be possible.

Giovanni definitely sounds like he has a good story to tell; especially for being a loner but not by choice part.  I think readers would like to learn more.

What inspired you to write this book?

I had a dream that inspired the character of Giovanni and part of the story, but mostly I wrote it because at the time I was writing it, it was a great comfort to me. In many ways I think it reflects a sense of isolation I’ve felt and sometimes still feel, but of course this feeling is greatly exaggerated in the book.

Dreams have a way to take on a life of their own, and building a character or story from it makes them even more special.

What other books or blogs have you written?

I’ve written four blogs in total at this point. My Eternal Curse Series Blog and my ToiBox blogs are current works in progress with new articles posted weekly. My other two blogs were self-challenges I wrote to aid in the development of my Eternal Curse Series. While still available to anyone who can find it, 40 Days and Nights of Eternal Curse has now been turned into a FREE ebook companion guide for the first EC book. Eternal Curse: Battleground: A Survival Guide will soon be made into an ebook as well.

Were your other books self-published or traditionally published?

All my books have been self-published, but the first Eternal Curse book has been picked up by a publisher and is in re-development.  I’m currently working to release a collection of short stories from my early days of writing, which should be interesting since I wrote some of them when I had no intention of ever publishing them. Needless to say, I’m working very hard to make sure my collection doesn’t turn into some form of weird torture.

I think there’s a lot of short stories and poems out there that writers never intend on publishing.  I had that happen with my poetry and they became much more than just a poem.  They took on their own story.

Who is your greatest writing inspiration?


My greatest inspiration for writing is the act of storytelling itself. In the industry there are so many authors that have made the written form of storytelling seem so easy, fun, and exciting that I just want to be a part of that in some way. I’d say it all began with the tales of Neverland, Oz, The Thousand Acre Wood, and Narnia. 


Join us tomorrow for Part 2 of my interview with Toi Thomas and make sure you pick up a copy of Eternal Curse: Giovanni's Angel on Amazon.com


And also 40 Days and Nights of Eternal Curse

No comments:

Post a Comment