Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Haster Interview Part 1, Basics

Happy Tuesday everyone.  Welcome to the Writer's Revolution.  I am your host, the author of The Phoenix BladeAndrew Hess.  Today, we begin our three part series where we interview Haster, an incredible Hard Rock/Metal band from Southern California.  Before we begin, I'd like to share a song off their debut album Searching.

Mind Control Campaign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p52luWCsRGs&feature=youtu.be


Let’s start by getting to know Haster.  Tell me about the band, the members, and how it originated.

David Heida (Lead Guitars) DH
Jarrett Stockmar (Vocals) JS
Brian Tew (Drums) BT 
Patrick Nolan (Rhythm Guitar) PN
Bob McCool (Bass)

JS: Hey guys, this is Jarret Stockmar and I sing for the band Haster. We are an Orange County band set on bringing back those emotional tones of the 90’s . I joined the band back in late 2010 by responding to an ad on Craigslist. I had a 6 month to a year downtime between then and my last project. I was bored and figured, “why not?” Little did I know David Heida, band manager/guitarist, Brian Tew, drummer/keyboard/programming, and I, would be recording our first EP within three months. Five months later it was released and we found Bob Mccool… the most talented musician I’ve ever met. From there it was a cake walk. We used our original EP to boost promotion and basically relied on those songs for a good two years.

How long has Haster been together?

BT: 3 years

DH: -Since early 2010.  I met Brian Tew (drums) through a friend I work with. Jarret Stockmar (vocals) joined in late 2010.  We finished our EP “Searching” in April of 2011. Bob McCool (Bass) joined right after that and Patrick Nolan (Rhythm Guitar) joined two months ago as we’re finalizing out new record

JS: Haster has been together since… I guess April 2010…. That’s when Brian and David met up through a friend and started jamming together. I don’t think they had any idea that it would become this.

What made you guys decide to become musicians?

BT: Seeing the percussion section during my brother’s middle school concert band performance.

DH: -Bands like Nirvana, Silverchair and Metallica opened my eyes and ears to hard rock and from the moment I heard ‘Nevermind’ i wanted to play music

PN: Patrick: An outlet for my instinctive creativeness I have had for as long as I can remember.

JS: I have been singing my entire life. Since I was little I dug theater. I always acted in school productions and was in choir throughout middle school. This, coupled with my insane passion for the 90’s nu-metal movement, drove me to basic insanity. I sat in my mom’s car or in my bedroom playing with my drum pad, singing along to bands like KoRn, Flaw, Staind, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot. I learned to scream by screaming along to Slipknot-Iowa and their self-titled album. I joined my first band when I was 15 and was the frontman for two more afterwards.

What has been the source of inspiration behind your songs?

BT: For me it’s an out word expression of frustration and anger i can get out through playing the drums. Usually I incorporate music i’m listening when we write songs.

DH: -Life. We write our songs through what we experience everyday and I think it comes through in our music.


JS: For me life is becoming increasingly uneasy as it goes on. I was raised in the Private-School system. It was a fantastic opportunity, and I certainly made the most of it, but everything I learned back then as fact, in terms of this is the way things are, have been proved to be a mere framework of one perspective, a defense mechanism even. As I grow older the truths I used as padding for safety have been stripped to null and I’m vulnerably exposed. I draw inspiration from this. I love the idea of going back to my innocent years and loving in ignorance. It was bliss… preserving childhood has become a typical parent’s goal because a child/s innocence is the most beautiful thing in the world. 

This concludes part 1 of our interview.  Join us tomorrow as we find out what it's like for Haster to perform, their 1st and most memorable shows, and about their first album Searching.  I leave you tonight with another song from their debut album Searching.

Take Me

No comments:

Post a Comment