Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Peter Hogenkamp Interview Part 2

Welcome everyone to another great week of the Writer's Revolution.  I am your host, the author of The Phoenix BladeAndrew Hess.  My guest this week is author and doctor Peter Hogenkamp



If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring (excluding family, laptop, or writing utensils)?

PH:  Swiss Army knife, sunglasses and a case of Corona (it’s all I have at home anyway.)

We find out the world is going to end tomorrow.  How do you live your last day?

PH:  Climb Everest.

If we were to make a movie of your life.  Who would play the part of you?

PH:  That’s almost unfairly difficult, Andrew. But I am a good sport if nothing else, and I appreciate this opportunity, so I will play along. Since Homer Simpson is animated, I will go with Ty Burrell, the guy who plays Phil Dunphy on Modern Family. I am flattering myself, as he’s funnier than I am, but my kids see the resemblance in the many ways.

Haha, I like to make the questions interesting, fun, but difficult.  Ty Burrell is very funny and I love the Phil Dunphy character as well.

Okay, crystal ball time.  Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

PH:  Living in central VT still, practicing medicine a little less (don’t let my wife see this) and writing a little more. The Jesuit thriller series is going to be five books long, and I want to finish that series and write a few stand-alone novels as well. (And I love to travel and I have lots of hobbies.)

Do you have any questions for me?

PH:  I usually ask the same question in these circumstances, because I believe that our favorite books speak volumes (pun intended) about who we really are. Therefore: What are your top five books of all time?

Hmm, my top five books of all time.  It’s a bit difficult to narrow down, but I’ll give it a shot. 
The Poe Reader, by Edgar Allen Poe.  It’s the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe and he is my all time favorite author.
Four Blind Mice, by James Patterson.  It was one of the most intricate books in the Alex Cross series.
The War of Art, by Steven Pressfield.  It is a short book but provides focus for authors and artists to strive to be more than just someone going through the motions.
Indian in the Cupboard, by Lynne Reid Banks.  It was my favorite book growing up as a kid.  I know most people would figure Harry Potter of Hunger Games to fit in here, but Indian in the Cupboard was the first book that I was really able to get into.
The Phoenix Blade, by Andrew Hess.  I know it’s my own book, but I have read it about twenty times or more between editing, planning the rest of the book series, or just reading for the fun of it.

Where can our readers find you?

PH:  Thanks for asking. My author website is http://www.peterhogenkamp.com My blog is http://www.phogenkampVT.blogspot.com I can be tweeted at on https://twitter.com/phogenkampVT  Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/peter.hogenkamp.3

Any final words for our readers?

PH:  If you put stories down on paper, you are a writer—and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. What you do with those stories is a huge topic of discussion these days, but writing will always be about the very intimate act of expressing yourself in words. I think a writer should focus on improving his or her craft, as opposed to concentrating on the vehicle carrying the final product. In the end, it is good content that rules the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment