Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Charline Ratcliff Interview


Welcome everyone to another big week on the Writer's Revolution. I am your host, the author of The Phoenix Blade, Andrew Hess. My guest this week is the talented Charline Ratcliff.






Let’s get to know you a little more.  Tell us a little about yourself.

Well, let’s see...

I love to travel; meet new people and experience new things.

I’m an avid animal lover, and as a photographer, animals are my favorite medium to shoot; followed by landscapes, architecture and then people.

I’d rather fix a car than clean my house... I grew up working on cars; (for example, I rebuilt a VW van engine on our living room floor when I was nine). I was on a date once when my back left tire started to shred. I pulled off the freeway and changed the tire while the poor guy got stuck watching me. In his defense, he did try and change it/help, but back then I just wasn’t used to having help; much less accepting it.

 

What inspired you to write?

I never intended to be a writer, but I will say that I always loved to actually write. You know, letters, post-cards, et cetera. In fact, around age twelve/thirteen, I signed up for pen-pals and had thirteen of them. *chuckle*

My career of writing books, which in turn has led to many additional avenues of writing, only began because of a dream; one very specific dream.

 

Tell me a little about your book.

The Curse of Nefertiti is/was my first book. It’s a historical fiction that is set in Ancient Egypt as well as the present-day. It’s the story of a woman living in Phoenix, Arizona who keeps having these startlingly realistic dreams and visions about Ancient Egypt. These dreams and visions also seem to focus on, and follow through, the life of another woman.

In The Curse of Nefertiti, readers will follow along on this woman’s journey; discovering the same as she, who she is, and where she comes from until she finally reaches the crossroads of choice. Stay in the present with the love from her past, or return to ancient times to save the country that she allowed to be destroyed.

 

How did you come up with the story?

The Curse of Nefertiti actually sprang from my own realistic and lifelike dream that I experienced on a night in mid-November, 2006. This specific dream was what actually started me down the writing path and it also became the Prologue for The Curse of Nefertiti.

 

Tell me about your main character.  Who is he/she, what makes them special to you?

Well, there are two, within the one, inside this novel. Kayla is the main character for the present day, whereas Queen Nefertiti is the main character in Ancient Egypt. I always viewed them both as the same person because they are, in fact, one half of the same whole.

However, both characters are dear to me because they each embody traits that I value highly: a thirst for knowledge and understanding, a strong will, independence, intelligence, kindness, compassion and beauty that can only be found on the inside; to name just a few.

 

Who has been your greatest writing inspiration?

I’m uncertain how to best answer this question as my adult novels, (versus children’s storybooks), have always come about because of my not-overly-often, realistic/lifelike dreams…

If it counts though, my storybooks were inspired by my crazy and always disheveled kitty, Oreo!

 

Now a little more about you:

If you were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you bring (excluding family, laptop, or writing utensils)?

Um, food, sunscreen, (so I could build my body’s protective tan without burning), and a pillow for sleeping.

 

We find out the world is going to end tomorrow.  How do you live your last day?

Well, I’m darn sure going to sleep in! There’s no sense in rushing through this particular day to try and fit every last thing into it – where’s the joy in that?? Once I got out of bed, then I would spend the remainder of the day enjoying the company of those who matter to me and vice versa.

 

If we were to make a movie of your life.  Who would play the part of you?

*chuckle* I’m laughing because I know many women who would say: Angelina Jolie. So would I, except I would want the Angelina Jolie from Lara Croft/Tomb Raider. Not for her looks, but instead because I can relate most closely to that specific personality profile…

 

Tell us 5 random things about yourself.

1)      I’ve recently discovered that the combination of diesel fumes, second-hand cigarette smoke, and eight foot swells causes me to become seasick. And wow, do I turn a lovely sort of neon, pea-green-soup color. No exaggeration either.

2)      Speaking of green things, I have an amazingly green thumb.

3)      Oh, and again with the green, my eyes will change color based upon moods and sometimes environment. (green, teal and occasionally grey)

4)      I actually bought an entire set of Encyclopedias just so that I could have fun reading and learning things from it.

5)      I have an exceptional memory and I have loved music since I was a young child. Consequently, I have to work hard to NOT start quoting/singing songs based on the conversations/comments of those around me. Or at least I work hard to not do this every time…

 

“Oh, you went to the car wash today? Really? You were, I dunno … ‘workin at the car wash, yeah!’”

 

What are the three places you have always wanted to visit but have not yet?

1)      The Arctic Circle

2)      Antarctica

3)      The Galapagos

 

Okay, crystal ball time.  Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

I honestly don’t know. It’s a big world out there with lots to see. I do know that I’ll still be writing, and that I’ll still be focused on helping others whenever I’m able.

 

Do you have any questions for me?

Off the top of my head, no. I think I already asked you everything when I interviewed you.

 

Where can our readers find you?

Author Website:

Author Blog: 

BlogCritics Blog:  

The Write Room Blog:  

Facebook:    

Goodreads:                                        https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2930204.Charline_Ratcliff

Twitter: 

Google+:   

Pinterest: 
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Charline-Ratcliff/e/B00J1GB0E4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1409378675&sr=8-1


Check out Charline and her books on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Charline-Ratcliff/e/B00J1GB0E4/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

And check out my page to stay up to date on upcoming guest appearances for The Writers Revolution and for info on The Phoenix Blade Series.
http://www.amazon.com/Andrew-Hess/e/B00COCQJ5M/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1410209384&sr=1-2-ent
And remember to rate and review the books on Amazon.com. Everyone has a voice; let it be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment