Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Friday, October 18, 2013

The Phoenix Blade Chapter 1

Welcome to the Writer's Revolution. Today I bring you Chapter 1 of my book the Phoenix Blade.  If you like what you read, feel free to pick up your copy on Amazon.com (paperback or  kindle)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Phoenix-Blade-Andrew-Hess/dp/1482052733/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375974928&sr=8-1&keywords=the+phoenix+blade



Chapter 1
      “Drew, Drew, wake up,” a man’s voice shouted.  “ANDREW!”
      My body hit the floor; waking me up instantly.  “What the hell happened,” I asked while I rubbed my bruised forehead.  The sun was shining brightly through the windows on a cold winter day in Buffalo. 
      “You passed out on the couch and started shouting in your sleep.”
      I cleared my eyes and saw a large built man with a buzz cut sitting on my old blue couch.  I shook my head; trying to remember anything.  “How long was I out for?”
      “About an hour or so.”
      “What day is it?”  Mike stared at me in disbelief.  I pulled myself off the floor and searched for my cell.
      “Have you been drinking,” he laughed.
      I ignored him as I searched the bedroom; finding my phone plugged into the charger on my nightstand.  “It’s only December twentieth.”
      “That must have been some dream you had.”
      “Yeah you can say that.”  I walked back to the living room and sat on the couch.  “It was about my mom and her accident.”
      “I thought you stopped having those dreams a while ago.”
      “I get them every now and then.  But this time I was at the accident and saw the car.  I could hear the police talking about her.”
      “You probably just remember hearing them at your house.”
      I stared out the window; thinking about their words.  “No, they were talking about her being burned alive.  They didn’t think it was an accident.”
      “Don’t start this again.”
      “Don’t start what?  I’ve always thought someone was behind it.”
      “I’m not going to argue over this.”
      “Fine.”  A part of me didn’t want to talk about it anymore.  I relived my final moments with my mother over and over for the last five years.  I wanted to tell him about the rest of the dream, but every second it took me to remember, much more slipped away.
      “What’s wrong,” Mike asked as he paused his movie.
      “I keep thinking how so much has changed in the last ten years.”
      “Here we go again.”
      “I mean it.  When we were kids everything was different.  The world was peaceful.  Everyone got along and helped each other.  But now everyone’s fueled by greed, corruption, and they get some sick pleasure from hurting others.”
      “I know what you mean, but there’s not much we can do about it.  Too many people think they have to do whatever’s necessary to get ahead in life.”
      “I still wish we could change it.”
      “Yeah, it’d be great to get rid of all those people.”  Mike reached for the remote to turn the movie back on.  “Too bad it’ll never happen.”
      I knew he was right.  Our idea was ludicrous.  But at that moment, my cell started ringing. 
      “Talk to me,” I answered.
      “Yes hi, I’m looking for Mr. Andrew Lancaster,” a stern confident voice said. 
      “Who’s calling?”
      “Someone who has the power to change your future.”
      “If this is some telemarketer, you can hang up now.  I’m not interested.
      “I assure you this isn’t a sales pitch and I’m not a telemarketer.”
      “Then what do you want?”
      “It’s come to my attention that you and a few friends have been talking about eliminating certain types of people.”
      My jaw dropped as he threw his accusation at me.  “What are you talking about?”
      “Don’t play dumb Mr. Lancaster.  You and your friends have been monitored for some time now.  We know everything.”
      “Who are you?”
      “I’m someone from the government that would like to give you an ultimatum.  We have emails and recorded conversations between you and your friends talking about killing people that are as you said evil.”
      “Look, Mr. we were only joking around.”
      Mike heard the panic in my voice.  My face turned pale white.
      “What’s going on,” he whispered.
      I placed the call on speaker and placed a finger to my lips.
      “Be that as it may.  You’ve been under our watchful eye for several months.  Now, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.”
      “And that would be?”
      “The hard way is we send our agents to your house and arrest you for conspiracy and possible treason.”
      “Are you fucking serious,” Mike shouted.  I quickly covered his mouth with my hand.
      “Who is that?  Who’s with you?”  I didn’t reply.  I could hear him rifling through papers.  “Ah yes, that is most likely Mr. Santangelo.”
      “How does he know my…”
      “What’s the easy way,” I asked.
      The man cleared his throat.  “Simple, we hire you to go through with it.”
      I laughed it off immediately.  “Yeah right, and next you’re going to tell me that I’m the next in line to be King of England.”
      “I don’t know about that, but I’m very serious.  We have a list of targets and evidence that proves their illegal activities.  We would like to give you the chance to make the world a better place.”
      “If you have evidence against them, why not put them in jail where they belong?”
      “Because they have ways of getting around our judicial system.  We all know it’s fallible.”
      “But why me?”
      “Who better to lead a team than someone who has never received justice for his own mother’s death?”
      “But it was ruled an accident.”
      “That’s what you were led to believe.  I have proof she was murdered and know who’s responsible.”
      “Who?  How?”
      “Never mind that right now.  One of my men will be by tonight and will deliver some files for you and your friends.  I suggest you look them over carefully.  I will need your answer immediately.”
      “Wait what’s your name?  How do I contact you?”
      “You can call me the Benefactor and I will contact you.”
      The phone went dead.  Mike’s jaw hung in disbelief.
      “That’s gotta be a prank,” Mike said.
      “I guess I’ll find out later.”
      Mike turned off the TV and placed the remote by the entertainment center.  “I hope for our sake it’s just a joke.”
      “If it is, it’s not funny bringing my mother’s death into it.”
      Mike grabbed his bag and walked towards the door.  “Keep me posted about it.”
      “Where are you going?”
      “My sister’s place in Albany; remember?”
      “But what if this guy shows up tonight?”

      “Then call me and we’ll handle it together.  I’ve got your back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment