Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Phoenix Entertainment and Development

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Adra Young Interview Part 1

Welcome everyone to another great week of the Writer's Revolution.  I am your host, the author of The Phoenix BladeAndrew Hess.  Our guest this week is author and teacher Adra Young.




Tell me a little about yourself.

My name is Adra Young.  I am an author, blogger, book reviewer, (1/2 Live Lady of Literature), teacher, world’s greatest auntie of five amazing nephews, and youth advocate for the Detroit Impact Center.

Wow, five nephews and a teacher.  You must really love working with kids. 

What inspired you to write?

 My students.   

What type of genre do you write?

My first two books are non-fictional reads for youngsters.  My latest contribution to the literary world is a fictional read for middle school aged kids regarding bullying.  

I think the topic of bullying is something a lot of people can understand.  Whether they are currently being bullied as a child, an adult, or faced it in the past.

Tell us more about your book.

My book is based upon four good friends coming together due to having a dreadful dilemma in common.  Being bullied that is.

Tell us about the main character, what makes them unique and what makes them tick.

The main character is Chelsea.  She’s a meek and mild mannered young lady who does a great job of not allowing her spirit to be broken despite of being a victim of bullying.

A strong spirit helps to get through some of the toughest times. 

What inspired you to write this book? 

Again, what I see and am exposed to as a teacher inspires me to both observe and write.  Teaching as long as I have, I’ve seen and witnessed a lot regarding students.

I can’t imagine being a teacher and having to see kids going through this. 

What other books or blogs have you written? 

My first book, The Everyday Living of Children & Teens Monologues was released in 2005.  The Everyday Living of Children & Teens Monologues Volume ll, the sequel to the first was written in 2008.  My blog on “wordpress”, adraly.wordpress.com, mostly addresses my educational concerns and experiences as a teacher.  My  blog on ‘blogger”, bookreviewsbyadra.blog, is where I place write and conduct book reviews for individuals interested in me reading and providing my personal opinion on their book.

Were your other books self-published or traditionally published?

I’ve only written three and they were all self- published. My first book was published with the assistance of a vintage press company.     

Who is your greatest writing inspiration?

 LOL…LOL my students.  I know I sound repetitive here but, I love them so much.  They keep me motivated.


They inspire you to have a purpose, and it seems like your purpose can help so many others out there.  I think more people out there need to stand up for causes like this to try and make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment